Planning to operate a business within Glenwood Springs? You may need to contact multiple departments within the City, depending on the type of business you are opening. Those departments include the Finance Department, City Clerk’s Office and/or the Community Development Department (Planning and Building).

Planning and Zoning

Please contact the Community Development Department to verify applicable zoning regulations prior to signing a lease or applying for a business license. Glenwood Springs has 16 separate zone districts and one overlay district. Each district includes a list of permitted and special review uses, as well as standards for lot sizes, building height, lot coverage and building setbacks. You will also need to contact Community Development regarding any signs associated with the business.

Building Department

If you are making improvements to a property such as changing the use, removing walls, installing windows, adding plumbing, you will need a Building Permit. Any building work within the city of Glenwood Springs must be done by a licensed contractor. Subcontractors not employed by a contractor, also must be licensed to work in Glenwood Springs.

Sales Tax and Business Licenses

If you are a business that will have sales, you will need to apply for a Glenwood Springs sales tax license through the Finance Department and also have a State sales tax license. Please visit for more information about state requirements. If you are service business that does not have sales, you will need to apply for a Business License

Glenwood Springs Sales Tax License Application

The City of Glenwood Springs has partnered with MUNIRevs to provide an online business licensing and tax collection system. This system allows businesses to access their accounts and submit tax returns and payments online. Access the MUNIRevs System.

Effective with January 2014 sales tax return, the penalty interest rate has changed to 0.5%. Also, note that all amounts on the return should be rounded to the nearest dollar.

Business License Application

Complete your business license application online by using the MuniRevs system. Apply Now.

License Renewal Form

Our 2-year license expires at the end of odd-numbered years. Renew Now.

Temporary Vendors

If you are a temporary vendor doing business in Glenwood Springs for the first time, please submit an application online. Temporary vendors or event vendors, must pay $25 and also provide a $100 deposit. This permit should be obtained for produce stands, peddlers, solicitors, short-term displaying of goods for retail sale and vending carts. Returning vendors should call 970-384-6455 before submitting the application to see if the deposit is still required.

Business License Assistance

If you need assistance, please call Muni Revs at 1-888-751-1911

Food Requirements

All restaurants and retail food establishments must obtain health department approval prior to the event from the Garfield County Health Department (located in Rifle).

Alcohol Service

Any establishment wishing to sell alcohol must contact the City Clerk’s Office and apply for a Liquor License.

 An event at which alcohol will be served or sold requires a special event liquor license. The applicant must be a nonprofit organization registered with the Colorado Secretary of State for purposes of social, fraternal, patriotic, political or athletic activities; a regularly chartered brand, lodge, or chapter of a national organization or society; a regularly established religious or philanthropic institution; or a political candidate or committee. For more information, contact City Clerk Catherine Mythen Fletcher at 970-384-6403.


All overnight lodging business will need to have individual sales tax licenses for each property where lodging occurs and will also need to remit lodging tax revenue. The types of lodging establishments include Bed & Breakfast, Hotel/Motel, Short-Term Rentals and Accessory Tourist Rentals. Check with the Community Development Department for more information about permitting for each of these uses.  

Enterprise Zone Tax Credits

Preservation Tax Credit

Colorado Opportunity Zones

Economic Trends

State Demography Office

Northwest Colo. Small Business Development Center

Northwest Loan Fund

Glenwood Springs and Garfield County Demographic Economic Update